4 Steps To Use Mala Beads For Meditation
But have you ever tried mala beads as your meditation aid? No? Well, meditation mala has been used since ages in both Hinduism and Buddhism. To know more about this simple, yet effective tool of Meditation, go through rest of the post:
What Are Meditation Mala Beads?
The Meditation Mala is also known as ‘Mala Beads’. It is a simple string of ‘beads’ made up of rudraksh seeds, basil (tulsi) wood, bodhi seeds, Sandalwood, crystal, gemstone etc. Each of them influences the mind of the user subtly.
What Do The Mala Beads Signify In Meditation?
One thing that intrigues people is the number 108. What does this number signify? There are numerous reasons behind using this sacred number. However, we will talk about the most common ones here:
- The number 108 is considered as a ‘Harshad’ (which means ‘great joy’ in Sanskrit) number as it is an integer that can be divided exactly by the total sum of its individual digits.
- There are 108 energy lines in our body that converge to create the intersection of the ‘Heart Chakra’.
- It is believed that attaining optimal peace and tranquility through meditation means taking only 108 breaths a day, which is one of the best ways of self-enlightenment.
- Our subtle human body is defined by 108 points, which are called the ‘marmas’ or energy intersections of 3 lines. Basically, our body consists of 54 such marmas and each of them has two forms – ‘shiva’ (masculine form) and ‘shakti’ (feminine form), thereby having a total of (54 X 2) = 108 points.
Why To Use Mala Beads For Meditation?
Now, let us take a quick look at the benefits of using mala beads for meditation practice. Being a wonderful accessory in meditation, it can help us in the following ways:
- It calms and conditions the body, mind and spirit by driving all sorts of distractions and fantasies away.
- It enlightens our psyche and works as the perfect gateway to our superior inner selves.
- It improves our attention during the meditation practice, which eventually makes us more focused.
So, if you want to get the most out of your meditation routine, include mala beads in it.